So I wanted to modify my SNES to allow me to play some of the US (NTSC) games that we missed out on back in the day here in PAL land… namely Chrono Trigger (But I also wanted Contra III which is the American version of Super Probotector before some clever-dicks got hold of it and swapped out the the Rambo-esque protagonists for wimpy looking robots).
So I got mar mate round (who I’m not going to mention since he hates social media) who’s a shite load better at electronics than I am (despite my fancy-ass degree… he lives and breathes this stuff every day), and we started looking for the best way to do the same mod people have been doing for years, but try and tidy things up and see if there was any way to improve the process at all.
There are bucket loads of sites showing you how to do this mod, but here’s the one we followed (seems to be a fairly popular one): www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch
Well, after much poking around with a multimeter it turns out the mod can be done without having to lift the oh-so-delicate PPU legs, and also without having to run 5v and ground lines from the voltage regulator.
Take a look at the video and see how it was done.
(P.s. Yes I know I melted some of the inner assembly near the power jack, I was using a gas-powered soldering iron and the hot air being exhausted took a bite out of the plastic. Rookie mistake.)
Photos For Reference
This is the connection to pin 30 of PPU2 showing the underlying track disconnected, I wanted to put up a photo of this as its a fair bit harder to see with the naked eye than the PPU1 connection.
And here is the finished layout:
I don’t know how this mod would translate to other revisions of the SNES board, It may well be the same or very similar but dig out a flashlight and multimeter just to make sure (its a good idea to check your work with a MM anyway as its a pretty small scale you’re working to and you don’t want any of the chip’s legs playing footsie…).
Elements of this method could also be used if you’re doing the SuperCIC version of this mod which uses a PIC interfaced to the SNES’s own reset switch to toggle modes… I personally just wanted the simplicity of a manual switch pulling a few pins to ground but I can see why some people might want the all-singing-all-dancing version.
Much love people. Over and out.